Common Ground: Photographs by Fazal Sheikh, 1989-2013, is the first comprehensive American exhibition of critically acclaimed photographer Fazal Sheikh’s work. The exhibition features more than 170 portraits and landscapes chronicling individuals living in displaced and marginalized communities around the world, many times as the result of war, exploitation, and poverty.
Common Ground will survey works that span a period from 1989 to 2013, offering deeper insight into major world events, racial strife, and mass global displacement in places such as East Africa, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, and the Netherlands. Stories told through Sheikh’s pictures focus on survivors, orphans, and victims of violence and abuse.
The event is free for CultureHaus members and one guest. There will be time at the beginning of the event to mingle and enjoy complimentary Odell beer, with other selections available at the bar. Curator of Photography Eric Paddock will lead an optional tour of the exhibition lasting approximately 40 minutes. Space is limited, so be sure to RSVP. We look forward to seeing you!
- Date: Wednesday, August 30, 2017
- Location: Denver Art Museum, Hamilton Building, Level 1 (map)
- Time: 6:00 pm-8:00 pm: Cocktails from 6:00–6:30pm, Curator of Photography Eric Paddock will provide comments and tour at 6:30pm
- Cost: Free for CultureHaus Members and one Guest.
- RSVP: https://tickets.denverartmuseum.org/DateSelection.aspx?item=1685